Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"They call it a funkification, meaning they show us what they've got and we spiral into a deep cloud of funk."

It's Wednesday, and we all know what that means. Time for my weekly Glee wrap up! Or "Hump Day" as Mr. Shue awkwardly pointed out last night.

I'm not the biggest fan of funk music which worried me a bit going in to the episode, considering it was called "Funk," but I was pleasantly surprised. Let's break it on down, shall we?

I have to say, I was nervous about what was happening with Jesse St. James when I saw the preview for this week's episode last week, and all my fears came true. Not only has he gone back to the dark side of Vocal Adrenaline, but he's also the ring leader of the destroy New Directions and Rachel Berry brigade. Poor girl just can't catch a break, can she? And while I am upset that Jesse is again the villain, he did kill it with his performance of Queen's Another One Bites the Dust.



Basically the episode revolved around getting the New Directions kids (and everyone else) out of their respective funks. New Directions being psyched out by Vocal Adrenaline, Mr Shue being threatened (again) by Sue Sylvester (which led to way too many awkward moments for my taste), Quinn dealing with the hardships of teen pregnancy, etc. I was pleased to see the Quinn got a solo song this week, as she hasn't really had much spotlight on her singing, rather than her pregnancy, before. While she may not have the chops of Rachel or Mercedes, she still threw down with an amazing performance of James Brown's It's a Man's Man's Man's World.



I'm not really going to go in to the whole Mr. Shue/Sue Sylvester seduction, because I don't really think Shue played this one right at all. I can see why he thought that leading her on would be a good way to get back at her, but I also think in the end it just made him look like a jerk. Hasn't he learned that you can't fight fire with fire? Puck and Finn were almost expelled at the beginning of the episode by doing so. Which also led to some classic Mrs. Robinson moments with Finn and Terri Schuester at Sheets and Things.

Also, loved that Sue had Kurt do a 14 minute long Celine Dion solo (all in French) to win the Cheerio's 6th national championship! If only they had shown a teeny bit of it. And, speaking of Kurt, his defense of Rachel after she's egged by Jesse and Vocal Adrenaline, led to another great one-liner, "Rachel's one of us - we're the only ones who get to humiliate her."

Anyway, as the episode wraps up we see New Directions finally figuring out what it is that they can do to beat Vocal Adrenaline in the end: FUNK! Apparently Vocal Adrenaline are "souless automatons" so they are unable to perform this style of music. The tables are turned in the end when New Directions invites Vocal Adrenaline to watch them in their newest funk number.



All in all, another solid Glee episode. I'm really looking forward to next week's season finale. Maybe Jesse St. James will realize the wrong he's done and come back over to the good side. Doubtful, but a girl can dream!

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Artie, "Glee"

No comments: