Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"Everybody hates you today. A superstar by tomorrow. You gotta put a smile on. Just to hide your sorrow."

Now, I'm going out on a limb today by coming clean about my guiltiest pleasure of 2010 (so far): season 9 of American Idol. Up until last week, I was pretty undercover about the fact I had been sucked in, but alas, I was. I realize that this confession may knock whatever music street cred I may or may not have down a notch or two, but I don't really care!

Lee DeWyze was my favorite contestant of the season. I will admit, however, that when he was chosen for the top 24, I didn't get his appeal. Then I heard his voice and was blown away. I was very pleased last Wednesday night when they announced this year's winner and it was him.

In the aftermath of his big win, the press rounds began. This morning on Live with Regis and Kelly, Lee performed an amazing acoustic version of his American Idol single, Beautiful Day.


As a fan of music, I wanted to do a bit of research on my newest crush. During some of his interviews on the show, Lee would talk about the original songs he had written and used to perform prior to Idol. I decided to track these down.

Upon Google and YouTube searches I discovered that Lee has 2 independent studio albums under his belt. I decided to head over to iTunes and see what was available, and I was able to grab up a copy of Slumberland, recorded last year and I LOVE it. It's a little Kings of Leon meets Dave Matthews Band, both of whom I'm a fan.

Enjoy a playlist of my favorite Slumberland tracks and singles from the show:

Lee DeWyze by Erin Boy

Here's hoping Lee's career goes the way of Kelly and Carrie and not Ruben and Taylor.

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Lee DeWyze, "Flower Child"

No comments: