Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"Oh, I'm not going. I decided to stay open. I could use the business."

This time of year is always kind of bittersweet for TV lovers, such as myself. May usually means season finales, and many of my favorite shows are coming or have come to an end until September. Luckily though, it also means the return of one of my favorite shows of the summer, So You Think You Can Dance!

Check out one of my favorite routines from season 4, which features two of the all-star dancers returning this season, Courtney Galiano and Mark Kanemura (who is also a back up dancer for Lady Gaga!):



Back to the finales. I happened to catch up on all my CW shows' season finales yesterday: Vampire Diaries, One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl. I must say, I was very impressed by Vampire Diaries and Gossip Girl and only mildly impressed by One Tree Hill, which as of today, has officially been picked up for an eighth season.

Vampire Diaries is probably my second favorite new show of the year, after Glee, and the past few episodes, the finale in particular, definitely did not disappoint. I'm sure you can tell by reading my blog that I love the vampires, which I'll admit is what initially turned me on to the show. But after watching the first few episodes, I was sucked (pun not intended) in. Anyway, back to the finale (I seem to keep getting myself sidetracked today).

One of the most "shocking" parts was the appearance of present day Katherine, who we've only met in flash backs thus far. I have to give it up to Nina Dobrev who plays both the angelic human Elena and her ancestor, the manipulative vampire Katherine.

Plus, it was fun to see her be evil and get a little up close and personal with Damon, for a change. I can't wait to see how all the events from the evening, Katherine's arrival, Jeremy's suicide-to-become-a-vampire attempt, among others play out in the fall. I wonder where it will pick up in the season premiere.

Gossip Girl has been up and down for me all season, but the past few episodes have really reminded me why I loved the show initially. While many of the finale surprises were spoiled by multiple videos and interviews over the past few weeks, I still found myself entertained, and a bit shocked at some of the events as the occurred. Georgina is pregnant with Dan's baby! Chuck gets mugged and shot in Prague! And even though I knew it was going to happen, Little J leaving was a happy moment for me. Her character has really been annoying me lately.

And, she and Chuck really blew it when they slept together immediately after he thought Blair ditched him at the top of the Empire State building. Supposedly, if you believe things you read on the internet, this won't be the end of Chuck and Blair though. Maybe he'll gain some sympathy points after being shot in Prague. I'm excited for the beginning of next season...it will start in France with Blair and Serena (and word on the street, Chuck).

One Tree Hill has really been struggling the past few seasons. Some may even say it jumped the shark after they ended high school and fast forwarded 4 years. I think it hopped (not fully jumped) the shark this season by introducing an almost entirely new cast. Is it awful of me to say that my favorite part of the season was probably the very last scene of the finale, with Clay and Quinn (the most pointless characters on TV) getting shot by a crazy ex-wife doppelganger? I'm just glad that they finally gave Brooke a happy ending with her engagement and they decided to have Haley come back to being normal. I just think they focused WAY too much time on the new cast this year, and I'm glad we've at least gotten rid of two of them! I really do think Brooke, Haley and Nathan got the short end of the stick this season.

Let's hope the focus of season 8 is Brooke and Julian and Nathan and Haley. Especially since Sophia Bush is most likely going to have to turn down the pilot she was recently cast for. Who am I kidding? I'll probably watch it regardless.

At least I have a few more weeks of Glee to look forward to!

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Moira Kelly, "One Tree Hill"

No comments: