Friday, February 18, 2011

"Fashion is not about utility. An accessory is merely a piece of iconography used to express individual identity." "Oh! And it's pretty."

New York Fall 2011 Fashion Week has come to a close (queue end credits music now). There were so many amazing shows and so many amazing street style slide shows, I absolutely couldn't get enough. A lot of themes kept popping up: 70s, reds and other jewel tones, super luxe fabrics, Arizona Muse in pretty much every show, etc, but I guess that's to be expected for fall.

While I loved many of the shows, there were 5 that really stood out to me. Let's check them out!

Ralph Lauren
I've always been a huge fan of Ralph Lauren. There's just something so classic and chic about every collection he puts out. The tailoring and styling is consistently impeccable, and I loved the subtle red, coral and jade details in the accessories of each look. From separates to gowns, each look is something I'd love to have in my wardrobe.

Click HERE to see the entire collection.

Prabal Gurung
Based on one of my favorite characters/crazy bitches in literature, Great Expectations' Miss Havisham, Prabal Gurung's fall collection was super interesting to me. He's been all over the red carpet lately, so I was very excited to see what he'd show for Fall. I really liked the harshness of the accessories (the black leather gloves and black geometrical tights) and the lady-likeness of the fabrics (chiffon and handmade lace) and draping. Plus, a big color on the runways this season, I loved all the different shades of red intermixed with blacks, whites and grays.

Click HERE to see the entire collection.

Monique Lhuillier
Monique Lhuillier's shows are usually the ones I look forward to the most each season. She creates the most beautiful pieces that every woman would kill for. And it's not just her unbelievable evening wear that I find to be so stunning. There's also something so chic about her tailored suits and cocktail dresses. And again, color of the season red was splattered throughout the show, showing up in the most incredible places.


Click HERE to see the entire collection.

Michael Kors
30 years in the fashion business has done nothing but make Michael Kors better, if you ask me. His collections are always so "him" and this show proved that if you have an aesthetic that works, and you can be defined by, why change it. Every piece is so completely wearable and should make its way into every womans' wardrobe. The neutral color palette just works and the luxuriousness of all his fabrics make each look look rich. And hey, let's be honest. Don't we all want to look rich most of the time?

Click HERE to see the entire collection.

Carolina Herrera
From the rainbow backdrop to the bold colors on the runway, Carolina Herrera's show reminded me of why I love ladylike fashion. Her simple separates, beautiful wool and fur coats and her dreamy evening gowns with their eye-pleasing jewel tones and watercolor prints, really addressed the woman she is dressing. For me, I find Carolina Herrera's clothes as aspirational - should I become the successful, stylish woman I would like to be, ideally many of her pieces would find their way into my wardrobe.

Click HERE to see the entire collection.

There you have it. Goodbye New York Fashion week. Until we meet again in a few months. At least we still have London to keep our sartorial minds busy for the time being.

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Doug and Lilly, "The Devil Wears Prada"

No comments: