Monday, February 14, 2011

"Do you practice losing at the Grammys, too?" "No, at the Grammys I always win."

The music world is such a strange place. A strange place that I would give my right arm to be a part of, that is! Musicians, in my opinion, have always been the zaniest of all the popular artists, and the Grammys is the one night a year that we get to see them all together. Plus, I'm always amazed that I forget every year just how popular country music is.

Now, I don't think there were that many surprises, but what do I really know about music. The blogosphere is all aflutter because Justin Bieber lost Best New Artist to "unknown" Esperanza Spalding, but let's get real for a minute. Yes, Bieber is a talented 16 (or however old he is) year old. And, yes, I do have a few of his songs on my iPod, but come on. Did anyone REALLY think he deserved that award? If it's the MTV awards, that's one thing, but this is the Grammys. Britney was WAY more popular Christina back in 2000, but Christina won because she's a more talented musician.

Other than that, the winners didn't really shock me, or anyone it would seem. Like I said, I always forget how much America loves their country music so Lady Antebellum sweeping their awards didn't really surprise me. Plus, I actually like that song (shocking, I know!).

For a list of all the winners click HERE.

Of course, beyond the winners, most of us watch the Grammys for the performances (I can't find decent videos to share of these, so please link me in the comments if you have some!!). There were a few that really blew me away, so let's give them the shout outs they deserve!

Christina Aguilera, Martina McBride, Jennifer Hudson, Florence Welch and Yolanda Adams' Aretha Franklin tribute.

Bruno Mars, B.o.B. and Janelle Monae's throw back performance.

Eminem, Rihanna, Adam Levine, Dr. Dre and newcomer (who I LOVED) Skylar Grey's Eminem/Dr. Dre medley.

Mumford & Sons, the Avett Brothers and Bob Dylan's folk medley.

And finally, (just because it was so fun and I love her) Cee-Lo Green and Gwyneth Paltrow's "Forget You."

Lady Gaga was just OK, even though I LOVE her new single, it really was nothing different than the norm. Muse, who I've seen live and still will say they're one of the best live shows I've ever been to, underwhelmed me a bit as well. Oh well. They won awards so I don't think they'll mind that I wasn't blown away by them.

Now that I've gone over the highlights of the show, let's talk about what's really important: the fashion. While the Grammys always prove to be a night of outlandish style (did Katy Perry think she was still performing at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show?) and out there looks (was that egg pod really necessary, Gaga?), there are always a few starlets that stick with the (relative) norm and shut it down in some amazing 'fits. Let's take a look at my favorites, shall we?

Selena Gomez in (my favorite designer of the moment) J. Mendel.

Lea Michele in Emilio Pucci.


Kelly Osbourne in Tadashi Shoji.

Jennifer Lopez in Emilio Pucci.


I think that just about sums it up. A lot of great performances, a lot of crazy fashion and some folks got to walk away with trophies and bragging rights. One more BIG award show is coming for us soon. What will we do when they're over for the year???

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Joey and Rachel, "Friends"

No comments: