Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"Any zombies out there?" "Don't say that!" "What?" "The zed word, don't say that!" "Why?" "Because it's ridiculous!"

The zombie genre has never been something I've been in to. Don't get me wrong, Shaun of the Dead is one of the funniest movies ever made, but there's just something about zombies that never really won me over. You know that phenomenon where you pretty much have never heard about something and then one person says something about and then you start hearing about it all the time? That's what happened to me with the new AMC show The Walking Dead.

A few weeks ago, a friend asked me why I'd never written about The Walking Dead in any of my blog posts. The reason was, I told him, that I never really had any interest in watching the show, in which case he then told me that I immediately needed to get on my On Demand and start watching. I thought, OK, maybe if I happen to be home with nothing to do and nothing good saved on my DVR, I'll give it a try. THEN, a few days later, a different friend was over and while I was in the other room, he happened to head over to my On Demand and turn it on. At that point I thought to myself, well shoot. I suppose I should actually give it a try. And am I glad I did (even though pretty much every episode gave me nightmares)!

UPDATE: A reader pointed out to me that I should include a spoiler alert, so here it is: SPOILER ALERT!! Stop reading here if you don't want to know what happens. Thank you.

Luckily for me, I started watching the show with only one episode left in the very short, 6 episode, first season, so I didn't have to wait long between episodes (on of the best ways to watch a series, if you ask me). The season finale, although at times reminded me a bit of Lost, made sure to keep me very interested in seeing what will come next. Cliffhangers can be stressful sometimes, but they keep you interested and questioning what will come next. I, myself, was left with the following 5 questions (hopefully for those wanting to watch the show, but haven't yet, these won't give away too much):

1. How did the outbreak happen in the first place? Did it start in Georgia and somehow spread through the whole country then continent then planet?

2. What happened to Morgan and Duane? Did they end up in Atlanta? What happened to Merle?

3. Is Lori going to end up pregnant with Shane's baby? How is that going to affect Lori and Rick's relationship? How will that affect Shane and Rick's relationship? Will they all end up turning on each other?

4. What's going on in Atlanta with the other group of survivors? Are they still holed up in the old-folks' home? Or have the "walkers" overtaken them?

5. After leaving the CDC in the final moments of the season finale, where will the group end up going? Are they just going to aimlessly drive until they run out of gas?

I guess we'll have to wait until next year when The Walking Dead returns for season 2, whenever that ends up being, for answers to many of these. Or maybe, if I can't wait that long, I'll go out and buy the comic books and see what happens.

These kinds of shows and movies always leave me with one(ish) remaining question: If I were in this situation, what would I do? Would I try and survive or would I just give up? What would YOU do???

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Ed and Shaun, "Shaun of the Dead"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

spoiler alert!