Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"I want the world. I want the whole world. I want to lock it all up in my pocket. It's my bar of chocolate. Give it to me now."

While being sick last week, I had to find ways to entertain myself while being unable to do much more than just lay there. At a friend's suggestion, I decided to finally check out the "watch instantly" section of Netflix and see what the big fuss is about the show Friday Night Lights. She has yet to steer me wrong on TV show suggestions (Veronica Mars, for example), so I figured, what else am I going to do during my self-imposed quarantine? Again, she was right!

Not only about the amazing show that is Friday Night Lights, but also about the best way to watch episode after episode after episode of a show without actually buying all the DVDs, Netflix's "watch instantly". Now, I'm not a fan of football, or high school football for that matter, which is what initially kept me away from the show, but let me tell you, I am now officially hooked. Who wants to head over to Texas and go check out a high school football game with me? Anyone? No?

Anyway, due to my new appreciation for this particular section of Netflix, I started thinking about instant gratification and wanting/needing things NOW. It seems to me that ever since the invention of the microwave in the mid 1900s, fast, instant, now, etc became key words in the vocabulary of American's. When looking up "instant" on urbandictionary.com, I came across pages of words and phrases that begin with instant or insta. Apparently getting things done quickly is very important to us!

I'm definitely a big fan of instant gratification, no matter how disparaging the term may be. Where would we be without cable on demand (and Netflix watch instantly for that matter) and microwave ovens? We would have to watch TV shows at their scheduled times or buy or rent the DVDs and cook meals in more than 5 minutes. I'm not even a big fan of online shopping because it just takes way too long to wait for the overnight shipping. I'll just run to the store and buy it now. Even blogs are a form of instant gratification. We no longer have to wait for the daily news or the latest entertainment gossip. Just check your blog roll and see what's going on in the world the second it happens!

Let's face it. Even though instant gratification may be "frowned upon" by some, it will always be a part of our culture. So come on stuffy, nose-in-the-air folks! Just jump on the band wagon!! We won't judge you.

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Veruca Salt, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"

No comments: