Monday, July 12, 2010

"What the hell is that?" "A dress." "Says who?" "Calvin Klein."

So I realize that this may be a little bit "old news" now, but while watching the very first episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer I got to thinking about the wonders of 90s fashion. A couple weeks ago Francisco Costa, the creative director at Calvin Klein, decided it was time to bring back the dress Alicia Silverstone made famous in the classic 1995 movie, Clueless.

Unfortunately for us, the dress isn't exactly cheap side, unless you have $915 just laying around your apartment or house, which I do not.

In lieu of this amazing throw back to the fashion of the 90s, I thought I would highlight some of the other shows and movies whose fashions deserve to be highlighted.

Beverly Hills, 90210 (the ORIGINAL)

My So-Called Life
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV show)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie)


Jawbreaker

Empire Records

And, of course, Clueless

Now, I'm not going to say I wish I could dress like this today, BUT you have to admit, their style was pretty fierce at the time. I really do feel like had I been born just a few years earlier, I would have strutted my stuff with the best of them in plaid miniskirts, flannel shirts and baby tees. Oh well, I suppose I still can!

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Mel and Cher, "Clueless"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa so thorough!

jpboudreaux said...

i very much appreciate your inclusion of both my so called life and empire records. way to go with the not-so-obvious yet still amazing!

Claire M. said...

seriously, tori spelling's floral mini dress in that 90210 picture is on sale at urban outfitters as we speak...early 90's fashion is back on the BLOCK...further evidenced by the opening of a Dr. Martens store on Haight Street!