Thursday, June 10, 2010

"I'm from a freaking farm, and I just danced next to Alex freaking Wong, and Anthony, who could frickin' smash the crap out of me."

We officially have our top 10, I mean 11, season 7, So You Think You Can Dance dancers! It looks like this season is going to be particularly good, with a bevy of extremely talented dancers at our disposal.

I'll admit, when I heard earlier this year that they were only doing a top 10 and bringing back all stars from previous seasons as partners, I was worried that it would make the show less interesting to watch. I also worried that the all stars would end up outshining the newbies, making it harder for them to garner votes from the viewers. I then realized that by the time it was top 10 in previous season that the weak dancers were weeded out and the strong dancers were really provided the opportunity to shine. Now I think it will just make for a much more competitive, exciting season, which is great since season 6 was semi-lackluster.

Now for our top 11. And, just for fun, I'll compare them to contestants from the past few seasons:

Kent Boyd - jazz dancing farm boy from Ohio, this season's Jakob

Alex Wong - ballet dancer from Miami who had made top 20 in season 5 but couldn't get out of his contract with the Miami Ballet, this season's Will

Billy Bell - contemporary dancer who had to drop out of season 6's top 20 due to illness, this season's Billy Bell :)

Lauren Froderman - ex cheerleader, contemporary dancer who impressed the judges throughout the entire Vegas week with her flawless technique and fun personality, this season's Jeanine

Jose Ruiz - Miami based B Boy who grew into new styles during Vegas week, this season's Legacy

Alexie Agdeppa - jazz dancer from LA who's ALMOST made top 20 4 times, this season's Katee

Melinda Sullivan - unique tap dancer, mentored by a great tap legend, this season's Evan

Adechike Torbert - contemporary dancer who pissed off the judges by tapping in his first Vegas solo, then re-won them over by nailing his "dance for your life" dance, this season's Brandon

Christina Santana - salsa dancer who barely missed making the top 20 last season, this season's Janette

(Now the next 2 dancers weren't given much air time in Vegas, but I'll do my best)

Ashley Galvan - contemporary dancer and Lil' C's favorite, this season's Kathryn

Robert Roldan - contemporary dancer, who trains at Alvin Alley with Billy, this season's Mark

Let's go back now to my personal favorite. I absolutely LOVE Kent Boyd! If he doesn't win, I may end up crying myself to sleep every night. OK, that's a bit dramatic, but still. It would kind of be like last season when everyone thought Jakob would win because he killed it every performance, but then lost out to Russell, who I thought was overrated even in the audition episodes. Back to Kent. Now, I'm by no means a dancer of any kind, but I can appreciate natural talent when I see it. This boy has EVERYTHING that it takes to make it a long way in SYTYCD: talent, technique, heart, passion, personality, I could go on and on. If you don't believe me, take a look at this little ditty Fox threw together for us all about the young man from a farm in Ohio:



I can't wait to see him excel over the course of the show. And, I especially can't wait to see him partnered with my favorite all stars Courtney Galiano (who saw her in Vocal Adrenaline in Glee!?) and Kathryn McCormick. Or the routines Sonya, Wade, Mia or Travis come up with for him. Should be good!

Be sure to check out the top 11 show their stuff, in their own style, tonight on the "Meet The Top 11" special tonight on Fox.

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Kent Boyd, "So You Think You Can Dance"

No comments: