Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"I can do affordable fashion. I mean, I know where all the sales are."

A few years ago I made a rule for myself: if you haven't worn something in over 6 months, you need to get rid of it! Being the somewhat typical Virgo that I am, I have been pretty good at sticking to that rule.

And hey, who doesn't use getting rid of things as an excuse to buy new stuff?!

Recently a dear friend decided that it would be a fun idea to host a fashion swap party. Coincidentally, I had just done my regular cleaning out of my closet the day before the email invite came! Basically the gist of the event would be that everyone goes through their closets (clothes, shoes, bags, accessories, etc) and rather than bringing everything over to Good Will, as per usual, we'd all get together for cocktails and the opportunity to "shop" in each others' closets. Whatever is left over would be donated to Good Will or Salvation Army. A particular item of clothing that you've had for years and are bored with now, may be exactly the thing someone else is looking for. You may have been eying a beautiful cocktail dress your friend wore to a wedding last summer, and now that she's done with it, it can be yours!

Now, I'm not necessarily the biggest clothes "borrower", but as someone who is constantly purging her wardrobe, it is good to know that if there's ever a possibility you'd want to wear something again, you know where it went.

And you never know...what if one of the girls shows up with an old Marc Jacobs handbag that you drooled over a few years back?!

Until next time... xo

Title quote: Isla Fisher, "Confessions of a Shopaholic"

1 comment:

Rebecca McGahey said...

Yay! I want your clothes! Unfortunately I probably won't fit into most of them, but definite motivation to lose the baby weight :)