Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Team Andrea!

For those of us masochists who indulge in the weekly horror-fest known as the Walking Dead, this post is for you! But if you haven't seen the second season premiere yet, avert your eyes (aka SPOILER ALERT!).

Since the first season provided me with ample amounts of nightmares, I decided that this season I would try my hardest to keep that from happening. I don't mean I would stop watching the show. Don't be ridiculous! I just made a new rule...I'm only allowed to watch it with plenty of time before bedtime, and I must watch something fun and frivolous before trying to go to bed to end the night on a happy note instead of a gory, horrifying one. At this point you're probably asking yourself, why the heck would Erin subject herself to something that so obviously is affecting her in a negative way. I asked myself this often, as well, but the answer remains that the show really is THAT good. For those of you who caught this week's episode and watched a heartbreaking monologue in the abandoned church by Andrew Lincoln, you would agree.

Let's get on with the recap, shall we?

The episode pretty much started where we left off last season with the survivors on the road again after the CDC explosion. They eventually encounter a massive pile up on the highway, which is good because they are able to restock supplies, but bad because here comes a massive zombie herd! The manage to hide fairly successfully, with the only exception being Andrea's attack in the RV. Oh, and then little Sophia is almost grabbed and runs into the forest, only to be chased by 2 hungry zombies. Luckily for her, Rick has no problem running after her and smashing the 2 zombies heads in with a massive rock. But unlucky for Rick, she leaves her hiding spot against his request and gets lost in the woods. A search ensues and pretty much the rest of the episode focuses on that...with a few zombie kills here and there. Sophia's mom, Carol, is mad at Rick for letting her daughter get lost in the woods. Shane is mad at Lori for accusing him of raping her in the last episode. Carl is mad that he's being treated like a kid and Shane is icing him out. Andrea is mad at Dale for forcing her to leave the CDC to save his life. So pretty much everyone is pissed off for one reason or another. Oh, and Andrea finds out about Shane and Lori's affair and blackmails Shane to let her go with him when he leaves the group. All of a sudden we hear church bells and hope that Sophia is alive and signalling the group of her whereabouts, but of course that's not the case. Members of the group pray for help, and the moment you think things may be turning around, BAM, Carl is shot while approaching a peaceful deer. Who needs zombies when humans are entirely capable of killing each other? I guess we'll find out next week whether or not Carl will live or die and who the mystery shooter is.

Now, I have to explain my "Team Andrea" title. For those of you who follow me on Twitter you would have seen my question earlier this week. Would you rather run from zombies or just become one? I've asked myself this question when I first started watching the show last year, and I pose it again, with an addendum. Would you rather run from them, become one OR take your own life? This question sparked a flight or fight debate between my boyfriend and me last night. I completely agree with Andrea's reasoning in this case. Why the heck would you want to spend your life running from and continually being attacked/almost eaten by zombies?! I realize there is a chance that the running could eventually end and that humans could win the war against zombies eventually, but come on! How much could you actually take? Rick even said in the season premiere: humans tire out, "walkers" never do! I, like Andrea, would have rather just stayed at the CDC while it self-destructed in the season finale. At least then it would be over quickly and you wouldn't have to worry about a long agonizing death as a snack for some zombies. Anyway, maybe that makes me a quitter. I call it realistic!

To end on a happier note, Pretty Little Liars comes back tonight with a special Halloween prequel episode to tide us over until the new season premieres in January. Can't wait!

Until next time... xo

No comments: