Thursday, April 22, 2010

"If a man doesn't fit, you can't exchange him seven days later for a gorgeous cashmere sweater."

While home sick (again!) this week I watched, for the 400th time probably, one of my favorite chick flicks, Confessions of a Shopaholic.

For those of you who know me well, you'll know that I definitely identify with the main character in the movie, Rebecca Bloomwood, based on the Sophie Kinsella novel of the same name. What girl living in a big city, who wants to be fashionable and look their best, wouldn't relate in some way?

When the book came out in 2001, my mother immediately told me it was something I needed to read. I did, and a few of its subsequent sequels, and fell in love with the character. Ever since college, I've been very into fashion, reading all the magazines and doing my best to keep up with trends in my own way (blame it on going to school in Southern California!). Unfortunately for me, and my bank account, this would get me into a bit of trouble. I think it's pretty safe to say that a lot of young women find themselves where I did, financially, at one point or another. So much so that someone wrote a book about it!

Thanks to my mounds of debt, I was forced to figure out new ways to get the looks I want, without spending too much. I don't think any of the designer clothes, shoes or bags I own I paid full price for. Thanks to sites like Gilt Groupe for designer pieces to build outfits with, and stores like Target for cheap staples, like layering tanks and simple tees, I've been able to create a fashionable (at least I think so) wardrobe without breaking the bank. Knowing that stores like J. Crew and Banana Republic always have great stuff on sale helps, too! I can't remember the last time I paid full price for something at either of those stores. Plus, with sites like Bag, Borrow or Steal and Rent the Runway fashionistas can now rent a great dress or statement bag for an event. Just like Netflix!

Also, a great way to get money back for clothes/shoes/bags/etc you no longer wear, rather than just donating them to Good Will (or your friends), is to try selling them to a local thrift shop. While I was living in LA, if I needed some quick cash, I'd just dig through my closet and head over to the Buffalo Exchange down the street. Whatever they wouldn't take I'd end up donating to Good Will. That's how Rebecca Bloomwood pays back all her debts in the movie...although, she has a huge sale, which I don't think I have nearly nice enough things to do.

And while we're discussing Confessions of a Shopaholic, let's send some congratulations over to its star, Isla Fisher, who has been seen around town sporting quite the baby bump!

Until next time... xo

No comments: