Tuesday, March 9, 2010

“Why do we blog? We blog to exist, therefore we are... idiots.”

Today is the day I’m going to start my blog (finally)!! I mean, I’ve only had my blogger account for 2 or 3 years now, so it was only a matter of time before I actually decided to post something. Every blog needs to have some sort of theme, I figure, so what should mine be? Everyone who knows me knows what I’m about…pop culture, fashion, TV, music, books (seeing a pattern yet?), so maybe I should write about what I’m passionate about: all things ENTERTAINMENT and how it affects me, my life and my interactions with the people around me. Maybe not ALL things entertainment, but I can’t help but focus on what I love. So finally, after years of procrastination and encouragement by friends my life as a blogger begins!

I suppose the best way to start is to talk about myself and how entertainment and pop culture has affected my life. Ask anyone I know and they’ll tell you that I’m the go-to gal for random facts about celebrities, what album a particular song is on, who designed the dress worn by what starlet at a certain red carpet event, etc. I guess it never really occurred to me that these things weren’t usually ingrained in people’s minds they way they were in mine. Some may say these kinds of things are shallow or superficial, but I say to each their own! Everyone has something that makes them special and maybe this is my thing.

Since I graduated college and started my life as a working woman I’ve wanted to get involved in the entertainment industry in some way. Unfortunately for me, so do about a million other people. This makes that route much more difficult. Luckily for me, I live in a time where if you want to work in entertainment, contribute your thoughts in some way, all you need to do is start a blog and write about it, for anyone and everyone to see. I remember being little and writing newsletters for my family. My parents would encourage me to write and for whatever reason as a teenager, young adult it never really appealed to me. It wasn’t really until I started reading obsessively in college that I realized that this could be something I could really be passionate about. Good at, even. I guess you never really know until you try, though, right?

I’ve never really considered myself to be a super creative person when it comes to writing, design, art, etc. I think that is why I never really considered writing as a career. Or even something I could do, at all. A few years ago I discovered an amazing web series called quarterlife about a woman my age going through the same kinds of things in life that I was going through. As you’d probably assume from the title, the show dealt with issues that many 20-somethings are going through: finding a career, dealing with relationships and being completely self sufficient for the first time in their lives. In every episode she would “vlog,” or video blog, about what she was thinking and feeling and what was going on with her friends and colleagues and the other people around her. I would say that this show was kind of a mix between My So-Called Life and Sex and the City, if you could imagine marrying the two. The night I watched the first episode was the night I opened my blogger account. I don’t think I’ve ever really been inspired so much by something so subtle, but I guess that’s really all it takes. But, as I said before, it takes much more than opening an account…

So there you have it – me in a nutshell. Well, maybe not all of me, but a general overview of why I wanted to start my blog in the first place. I'm going to leave it at that for now.

Until next time... xo

3 comments:

Rebecca McGahey said...

Love it!!! I can't wait to read more!! So true, you are the one I always turn to for music, celebrities, fashion, movie, and book advice. I would pretty much just be a biotech nerd without you in my life to help educate me :) I'm so excited to read more!

Amanda WK said...

Seriously, you could teach a class on this stuff. Yay for your vlog!

Unknown said...

This is my first time ever leaving a comment on a blog and my first blog to read religiously! Tell me what I should know Er!