Friday, March 26, 2010

"That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be."

Looks like it's going to be another beautiful Friday in SF! Too bad I won't be in town this weekend to enjoy it...although I will be down in So Cal, where it will be much nicer!

I always find it so bizarre that the second you decide to do something, you start hearing about it all over the place. I'm sure there's some term for that, but I don't know what it is, so I guess I won't make myself sound all scholarly this morning. I decided earlier this week that rather than watching old episodes of Felicity or Sex and the City before bed, as per usual, I would try and re-read the classics, starting with F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, which I finished Wednesday and have since moved on to Charles Dickens's Great Expectations. Anyway, randomly I discover that South Park had an episode this week as a tribute to another classic piece of literature, and one of my favorite books of all time, JD Salinger's Catcher in the Rye.

Here are a couple clips from the episode:





Who knew Trey Parker and Matt Stone were such literati! They do make a good point though. Creating controversy over something that really isn't very controversial will get kids to read it.

It's funny. I was having a conversation with someone this week about the classic books we read in high school and the analyzing we had to do. While reading Gatsby, I kept thinking the entire time that most of what we discussed in English class was so obscure. Maybe because I was reading it for purely entertainment reasons this time around, and I knew I wouldn't be writing a 5 page essay on the symbolism of Daisy Buchannan's outfits, or something like that, but I couldn't imagine where some of the stuff we talked about in class came from. I guess that's why I didn't become an English major in college!

I guess now I'll see where Dickens takes me with Great Expectations. Considering the 1998 Gwyneth Paltrow/Ethan Hawke movie is one of my favorites, I'm excited to compare the two.

Until next time... xo

No comments: