Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"I knew that little girl and I saw the light in her eyes, and no matter what you say or do, that's still what I see. "

As you may or may not remember from my post from a couple weeks ago, I've recently been "rediscovering" classic literature. Currently I'm reading, for the first time, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. The 1998 Alfonso CuarĂ³n film, starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke is one of my very favorite movies, and my dear friend at Dossier N°5 reminded me this afternoon of one of the most beautiful, memorable scenes (which I've been meaning to post about).



The entire time I've been reading the book, I keep picturing the scenes from the film. Even though the book takes place in 19th century England and the movie takes place in 20th century Florida and New York, so far the movie is staying extremely close to the book. Now, I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but I keep picturing Robert De Niro asking the little boy, Pip (Finn in the movie) to steal him food, booze, drugs and a file to get rid of his shackles and a young Gwyneth tempting Finn in her crazy aunt's mansion.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the book plays out in relation to the movie (shouldn't this be the other way around?). I can't wait until I get to some of my favorite scenes!

Until next time... xo

1 comment:

Le Dauphin said...

Let's reenact that scene. A little tongue hockey?